We Make Your Problem Our Problem

Can you get pain and suffering comp after a car accident in Texas?

On Behalf of | Mar 28, 2023 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

When a car accident leaves you with injuries that compromise your economic circumstances, doing all you can to maximize your compensation is vital. For example, a spinal cord injury could take you away from work, possibly for the rest of your life.

You probably know you can obtain compensation to address your financial losses (medical expenses, lost wages, etc.) after a crash. These are called economic damages. Some states, including Texas, allow severely impacted crash victims to obtain non-economic damages, commonly known as pain and suffering.

Who is eligible for pain and suffering?

Any vehicle accident victim experiencing significant financial and personal losses may have a valid claim for non-economic damages. Some of the losses experienced in truck and car accidents include:

  • Loss of the ability to enjoy life
  • Disfigurement or severe scarring
  • Ongoing suffering and physical pain
  • Emotional and mental anguish or pain
  • Loss of consortium or intimate relations

If you can show that the accident caused any of the losses above, you may obtain a pain and suffering award on top of your economic damages.

How long do you have to file?

To preserve your compensation, file your claim as soon as you know the full extent of your injuries and how they may affect your earning capacity. You must file within two years of the date the accident occurred according to Texas law. When possible, it is best to file as early as possible.

Proving that you deserve non-economic damages is not as easy as you may believe. It can benefit your claim to consult with a professional who understands the nuances of state car accident claims.